Tuesday, May 8, 2007

It's official: Trees stay. Forester goes?

Last week, Park Board chairman Walt Helmerich, Park Board member Joe Schulte, and the Park Department's Urban Forester #2 Dave Zuconni re-examined the condemned trees, and decided that only one out of fifty should be removed. Head Urban Forester Mike Perkins is 'out of the office' for two weeks.

The Mayor today issued a press release. By executive order, the Park Department must submit all future plans for Woodward Park tree maintenance to an oversight committee. Park Department head Mary Ann Summerfield is 'on vacation' this week.

There are still questions to be answered. In the press release, the Mayor says that tree maintenance, for now, will come from "teaming with private partners." Why private? Why is the Park Department unable to do routine trimming?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Everybody! Thank you so much for pulling together to make a difference and taking care of our park!!!!

Snoweyes said...

That's good news!

I have a feeling before something like this happens again they could get the help of local, private landscapers willing to work in lieu of limited Urban Forestry personnel as opposed to simply angering the public with such a silly move.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank everyone for saving these trees. Unfortunatly, I myself was not aware of this problem until this past Monday. My wife and I had dinner in Utica Park Square, and we decided to drive around and look at the houses in the area (we like to daydream about those beautiful homes). As we got near Woodward Park, we saw all the "Stop the Chop" signs. I was shocked when I discovered what was going on.

My wife and I just got married in April, but we have been dating for 5 years. As part of our first date, I took her to Woodward Park, and every year we re-inact our first date together. If these trees had been cut down, it just would never be the same. So once again, thanks to everyone, I am sure there are many people that have special memories of this park, similar to my own.