Wednesday, May 9, 2007

We did it.

We saved the trees. From now on, whenever the Park Department wants to remove a tree in any Tulsa park, they'll need approval from the Tree Advisory Committee (or the Mayor herself, in an emergency.)

In coming weeks, the Committee may ask for help in taking care of the immediate needs of Woodward Park. The trees do need trimming. As soon as we know details, we'll post them here.

In the long term, there are still questions about who will trim and who will pay for it. But we'll leave that up to the powers that be.

In the meantime, the signs and ribbons can come down. We won.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and thank you for your wonderful work in saving these trees! I'm sorry I didn't know about it sooner, or I would have done anything I could to help.

God bless you!!!!

Linda G.
Midtown Tulsa

Michael said...

i echo linda g's sentiment. perhaps this would be a good time to generate a network of email addresses in order to activate people when needed.

michael wright
university of tulsa

Anonymous said...

Why were they going to cut down trees?

Anonymous said...

Why were they going to cut down trees?

Anonymous said...

i wish i could have done something about the trees on the property where i currently live. i live in a rent house on 18th and cincinatti in historic maple ridge. part of the appeal is all of the big, beautiful tress. however, recently (say, one week ago) my landlord was persuaded to cut down SIX TREES in our yard. these trees had to have been almost 75 years old. now the house looks different, the street even look different. i know that this happened because my landlord did not want to maintain the tree limbs by order of pso. i'm tempted to move just because of this. it makes my heart sad to see such things happen purely out of laziness.

despite all of this, i'm proud of you and this cause. it's about time people started standing up for what is right. congrats!

Anonymous said...

God bless Janie and Chris for saving my beloved trees! I did what I could to help, but wish I could have done a lot more! Contact me anytime for future help in this area! Linda Persson

Anonymous said...

That is so wonerful, what you did saving those trees! Something should be done to permanately from the folishness of lots of trees being cutdown pointlessly!!!